Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Imagine my surprise to see a very familiar face in my Glamour magazine this month! Well, surprise that I'm priviledged to know one of Glamour's most inspiring women. Bishop Katherine baptised all of my children, and my husband just last January 8th. She also is the reason that I am married in the Episcopal church instead of a civil ceremony, because she is the bishop who granted me permission to be married a second time. I am so glad to see her in that article, but I really think they didn't show even a fraction of how great this lady is. When Kat was afraid of Bishop Katherine in her robes and miter, she got down on her knees to talk to her, and let her wear the miter to show her that it's just a very tall hat, not something to be frightened of. She treats everyone she meets with respect and dignity, and acts as though she is the one who is honored to meet you. I have met church officials who wear their authority like armor, and wield it at everyone they meet like a weapon. Bishop Katherine does not do that. If she weren't wearing her robes, I'd still want to meet her, to be friends with her. She's smart, fun, kind. She deserves to be listed as one of the most inspiring women of the year, but being Bishop (I think) is just a result of the attributes that make her so insiping. Just my two cents, of course.

No comments: