Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WFMW: Early Christmas Shopping

It's that time of year again..... time to start shopping for Christmas presents! Yes, I know, I sound completely insane. There is no way that I will know my kids' sizes seven months ahead of time, but fortunately for me, they are fairly predictable in their tastes.

What really works for me is buying books. Lots and lots of books. On ebay in "lot sales", at garage sales, on clearance, from scholastic. Whenever the price is right for books in good condition, I snap them up. Then I stash them in my closet. Over the year I will give the kids a book here, another book there, for various occasions. As a reward for good behavior, to keep them entertained on a long car ride, or as a distraction during a doctor appointment are all fantastic reasons to give a kid a book in my opinion. And I'll still have lots left for Christmas presents! (Lucky for me, my kids love reading as much as I do!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Christmas shop all year for friends. If I see something that is just wonderful and makes me think of someone, I get it and put it away for Christmas. You are not alone in this. It's a good use of money and time. I live in NH and I HATE to shop in the winter when there is 18 inches of snow and the wind is blowing and the temps are -18 degrees. By shopping now, I sit home, drink hot coco and wrap the gifts that have been in the attic all year! Sounds good to me.