Friday, February 23, 2007

Gardasil

I have the feeling that this is not going to be a popular statement, but I feel the need to point out one risk factor that parents simply can't control, no matter how we'd like to.

I have HPV. I was not loose. My first husband cheated on me. Repeatedly. I now have to have a pap every six months for the rest of my life, and I'm grateful that I can take this preventive step.

Can you raise your daughter with the knowledge it takes to makes sure she marries a faithful man? Can you guarantee that she won't be victimized? If so, please tell me how.

There are some aspects of our lives, of our children's lives that no amount of good parenting can control. No matter how well we instill in our children our morals, no matter how much we say they are not of this world because of our faith, they are still in this world, and that means that bad things can happen. But this vaccine may give us the power to lessen the severity by a fraction.

I'm not saying that it's right for this vaccine to be mandatory. But I am saying that it could prevent some women from being victimized for the rest of their lives because of an unfaithful husband, or worse, a rapist, giving this disease to her. I hope nothing like that ever happens to my sweet little girl, but I can't control that.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Thank you vida for your perspective. It gives me pause and I have to think through the issue wholly, not just morally but physically and practically too.
I think what aggravates me is that abstinence is not encouraged. But then you point out that even in a monogamous relationship one could be at risk, and, God forbid, cases of rape.
There's a lot to think about. I really don't know where I stand right now, honestly. Thank you.