Friday, January 05, 2007

I suppose it's resolution time, eh? I think I'll set some goals, rather than resolutions. That way, if I don't get there this year, it's not broken, just delayed. And in that spirit, my goal is to move my family a few steps closer to self sufficiency through better stewardship of our resources. I managed to accomplish one step last year that was very difficult for me. In fact, I had been struggling with it for my entire adult life. I can now keep the thermostat under 80! I even keep it right at 70 most of the time now. That is reducing our heating bill quite a bit, and the kids are sleeping better at night now that I'm not broiling everyone else.

This year, I want to learn how to knit or crochet sweaters for the kids to wear next winter. I have taught myself how to do basic knitting this week, and am following a pattern for a blanket. It's the most basic knitting pattern I could find, and I do my best progress through baby steps. I also want to plant some berry bushes around house to replace the awful junipers that the previous owners were obsessed with. And in the hole that used to have a tree before Hubs ran it over with the moving truck, I want to put the coolest tree I've ever seen. It's called a fruit cocktail tree, if I remember correctly, and it bears around three different kinds of fruit. Everything I plant on this property should have a purpose, a way of helping us toward self sufficiency, be it through bearing food for us to eat or through supporting those that do. Can you tell I'm ready for spring?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Vida- I just wanted to thank you for your encouraging words regarding my call for help on Mommy Life! I really appreciated your insight- you're right- I am a large part of the problem with my son's behavior. I tend to resort to what I know, instead of trying new things. What I know... is yelling, threats, etc. and I hate it! Thank you for you encouragement!
Lisa

Vida said...

Lisa,
I hope it helped. We all need encouragement, especially when we're trying to overcome behavior patterns we've spent a lifetime learning. It's hard! But it is worth it too. How is you son doing now? I hope he's healthy again.
Hugs,
Vida