Friday, March 09, 2007

The Mystery

*Warning. If you dislike talk of bodily functions you may want to skip this one. I'm sure I'm providing you folks with way Too Much Information. You've been warned. Carry on now.

I've been waiting to post about this until today because I thought I'd have a nice, neat resolution at the end of the story by now. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Here's the deal. For me, early pregnancy symptoms and PMS are remarkably similar. So anytime I'm not using birth control, there's usually a week of wondering about that other possibility. Only this time, it's been way worse, and started two weeks before I was due. Throw in a dash of neverending nausea and a little extra exhaustion and you have me convinced I'm pregnant. The sticks I peed on every day for the last four days say differently. Yesterday, when my period was finally late I felt like I could call the doctor's office and confuse them too! Hehehehe. That was such a fun phone call!

Nurse: "Dr. Blank's office, what can I do for you?"
Me: "I'm not sure. I'm either pregnant or I have the worst case of the flu in my life."
Nurse: "Okaaaaay. Have you taken an EPT?"
Me: "Yep, four. They all say I'm not. But my period is late, I'm sick as a dog, and even with my three kids I was never this sick this early."
Nurse: "Well, the progesterone from the IUD you had removed two months ago might be causing you to be late. Want to wait a few more days?"
Me: "That would make sense if I hadn't had periods like clockwork while I had the IUD."
Nursed: "Really?! Ok, let's get a blood test done, then. They're more accurate anyway."

Can I just say, I almost miss that IUD. I have never been this miserable in my life. I go to get my blood drawn today. I'm so nervous. I've been busy imagining all the life threatening illnesses that I might have, if it turns out I'm not luck enough to just be experiencing morning sickness to the Nth degree. I'll post about the rest of this as it unfolds. Have a happy weekend, all!

*Update-
The blood test was quick, and it came out negative. So now I get to wait some more to figure out what's going on. Pregnancy would have been so much simpler!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing the news!

Young Christian Woman said...

Are you aware of how these types of birth control work? I would advise doing more research into how the pill and the IUD work before continuing to use either.